Tuesday, November 3, 2009

classics

good morning! 'tis tuesday and it is wonderfully chilly outside. how i love autumn weather! although i am feeling a little off-kilter this week (for reasons still unbeknownst to me), life is good. i have one more super busy day of christmas pricing and storing before i am finished. i have to say i will miss that task in an odd way because it gives me something to focus on so i do not have to focus on the things at the store that stress me out and irritate the you-know-what out of me.
alright, well, enough of that. on to the fun stuff. i am about to embark on my tri-annual cosmetic purchasing adventure and because i am so susceptible to advertising, i am toying with a few new things to try on top of the classics that i stock up on. like that new mascara that penelope cruz is the spokesperson for. it looks like a spiky ball on a stick. i have no idea what it's called but i am totally going to try it!
in honour of that silliness, i have made a list of the top 5 (plus a few honourable mentions) beauty products that i will always keep around (as long as they are being made) because they are fabulous! ...and so are you!



i have been addicted to carmex since i was probably fifteen. nothing else helps with my perpetually chapped lips. except maybe drinking more water. love the smell, love the texture, love the price.


dove extra hold hairspray for fine hair is amazing. it's the only one i have found that does what it says it will. a fellow fine-haired fillie introduced it to me. if they ever discontinue it i will buy out every store in town.

now black honey shiny lip tint by clinique is a classic for millions of people. it is one of the first lipsticks my mama ever got me when i was a teenager and thus began my love affair with red lipstick.


dr. bronner's castille soap is one of the most amazing products ever. i used it when i was a teenager and into my twenties. then for some reason stopped buying it all together only to fall back in love with it because of senor mas' addiction to the almond scented version. now that's my favourite! you can refill the bottles, you can use it to wash stinky puppies, your hair, your floors, anything! plus there are a million little things written on the bottle which i read in the shower every morning. love LOVE!

maybelline crushed cranberry lipstick. this is the only image i could get of it, but that's not the colour. it's the perfect strawberry red. most of you will recognize it from any picture taken of me in the past two years in which i have lipstick on. it's inexpensive and kind of stains your lips in a pretty way. it's no coincidence that 3 of my 5 favourite products are lip products. i'm obsessive about them.

honourable mention #1: aromatics elixer by clinique. it's not a cosmetic but it is the definition of "lady" to me. though it smells totally different on everyone, it adore the way it smells on me. a little spicy, with some citrus notes. OH! love it, it's the grooviest! mama use to wear it when i was really little, and it smells awesome on her too!


honourable mention #2: sea breeze astringent. this reminds me of summer in the 80's. i use it almost every night. i love the smell!


what are some of your favourites?
adieu for now,
lu

4 comments:

k.lou said...

The spiky ball of mascara is awesome!

Suzanne said...

ok, Here we go.....sounds like a cheer ! I wore Elixer when you were a pea in the pod, still a classic, Black honey I wore in High school now I am going lighter, but you can't go wrong when brunette and wearing it. I still love Sea Breeze but can't wear it,Oil of Olay the lotion is still a favorite and noxema is still my fave sunburn remedy!!!! ta da....

lulu said...

k: i bought it last night, stay tuned for critique. it looks like some sort of torture device. and i'm not sure if it was the cosmo costume or what but i loaded up on all things girlie last night at target. i was more pampered than a show dog last night. ;-)

mama: i still wear oil of olay too and have a gigantic container of noxema in my tub right now! i realized yesterday when i wrote this that a lot of my favourite stuff i got from you! awwww! we're cute. oh deer!

Adrienne said...

I used to be a carmex girl until I discovered Blistex DCT- I will never change on that one and I have many converts :)

Black honey was in high school, but I don't wear any lipstick nor do I own any at this juncture. I like it on other people though!

I am afraid of the spiky ball and I have been true to the same mascara for about 10 years.

My dad is the reason I LOVE Dr. Bronners.

Please let me try the elixer when I come over tonight. KTHX.